Best Winter Vacation Destinations
In The USA
If you’re taking a Road Trip, we’ve created a printable The Ultimate Road Trip Checklist in an easy PDF format.
Winter is a breathtaking time of year when you can enjoy the beautiful, clean white snow and take the view of nature in. There are a lot of places in the U.S. that are truly Winter Wonderland. Get away from your every-day activities and follow your heart to explore and enjoy all of winter’s wonders this year. We have picked the best winter vacation destinations in the USA for their snow-white beauty, winter activities and charm.
Colorado's Best Winter Destinations
Colorado is definitely top on our winter vacation list. There are many different places in Colorado that will satisfy your hunger for winter adventure and scenery.
- Aspen – Top of the list is Aspen, CO which has a 100% snow chance, is famous for its world-renowned slopes, has a lot of high-end restaurants and boutiques, luxury lodging and more. This city between mountains, is one of the best winter wonderland destinations in the US. Click here for beautiful Cabin Rentals in Aspen.
- Breckenridge, CO is another beautiful city nestled between mountains, but a little smaller than Aspen – making it a perfect winter getaway. Breck is a small town with a lot of charm. Slopes are very close to condos and everything is within walking distance. Enjoy boutiques and restaurants as well as outdoor activities like skiing, snowboarding, kids attractions, hiking and more. Find the perfect, cozy cabin to rent.
- Steamboat Springs, CO is another genuine Colorado town nestled between mountains and slopes. This place is surrounded by barns, ranches, horses and the likes. Being in the heart of the West, the heritage is kept within the community. Here you can enjoy countless trails, ranches, restaurants, and most importantly – 150 natural springs in the area.
North-Western's Best Winter Destinations
The North-Western part of the United States is not without many beautiful white winter destinations. Check out our top picks:
- Washington – Washington has several winter-lover cities to choose from. Beautifully decorated during winter time is Leavenworth, a German-themed small town. Here, you can enjoy skiing, shopping, restaurants and a German atmosphere. Another great option is the Crystal Mountain alpine ski area. Here you will find skiing, shopping, dining and other winter activities like snow shoe tours. Crystal Mountain Resort has great packages that include lodging, skiing and more. If you want to rent a condo/cabin, click here for rentals.
- Oregon is another perfect winter vacation destination in the Northwest. You will find a beautiful winter wonderland in the city of Bend, with nearby ski mountains. Rent snowmobiles and snowshoes, go dog-sledding and enjoy a 3-day winter-fest in February! Additionally, a great winter destination in Oregon is Mt. Hood with plenty of skiing and other winter activities like renting snow mobiles, carriage rides, sledding & tubing. Enjoy beautiful scenery of alpine lakes with a backdrop of mountains. Beautiful Cabins, Cottages and Condos await you – check for rentals.
Best Winter Vacations in the Midwest
If you thought the Midwest doesn’t have much to offer in winter, think again!
- Wisconsin is one of our top picks for best winter vacation destinations in the USA – Midwestern region. It’s family friendly, has many bed and breakfasts for romantic getaways and plenty of winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, sledding, snowmobiling, and even ice-climbing. Wisconsin Dells, Kohler, Crystal Mountain, Bayfield (for exploration) and the small town of Stillwater are all very pretty in winter.
- South Dakota – Visit the Black Hills for another perfect winter getaway. You will find snowmobiling, snowshoeing, skiing, snowboarding, trails and more. The small, charming town makes for a beautiful snowy vacation with winter scenery of white-peaked mountains in the background.
- Colorado – see the top of this article for our top picks for Colorado Winter Destinations.
Best Winter Vacations Northeast
Anything North will make for decent winter vacations, but being near some of the greatest and biggest cities in the USA has its own benefits.
- New Hampshire is one of the best winter vacation destinations in the USA – thinking of the Northeast. Here, you will find winter activities galore and also be able to enjoy some holiday festivities like light shows and Christmas events. New Hampshire is perfect for family and couple vacations. Vacation Rentals in New Hampshire.
- New York offers some super-cozy winter getaways that are family-friendly and also romantic. Check out Lake Placid Lodge and Mohonk Mountain House for some winter vacation inspiration!
- Vermont is yet another excellent choice if you’re seeking winter adventure. Explore the outdoors with winter camping, ice fishing and 20 alpine ski resorts! Relax and cozy up in some of the best ski resorts in Vermont like the Stratton Mountain Resort, Stowe Mountain Lodge and Jay Peak Resort. These are all nestled between beautiful mountain peaks for a terrific snow covered mountain scenery while you’re relaxing in front of a fireplace.
Traveling in the USA, road trips are a great way to save money, connect with your loved ones, have a deeper level of experience and be free to go wherever you want – when you want. Check out our road trips post with great tips and benefits about road trips.
Get directions from & to any city by clicking on the directions tab(desktop) or larger map(mobile) below.
Are you traveling on a budget? We have useful tips for budget travel and how to score deals – check out our Budget travel post.